- Location: Waverley Court 4 East Market Street, EH8 8BG
- Salary: £36,499.00 - £43,619.00 per year
- Contract Type: Fixed Term
- Position Type: Full Time
- Hours: 36 hours per week
Project Manager – Programme Management/Climate Commission Liaison
Salary: £36,499 - £43,619
Hours: 36 per week
We want to ensure Edinburgh, as Scotland’s capital city, is at the forefront of securing a swift and just transition to a low carbon future for Scotland – now, and for future generations. Recognising the urgent need for radical action to mitigate the effects of climate change, the City of Edinburgh Council has declared a climate emergency and set out a bold ambition for the city to be carbon neutral by 2030.
To help make this vision a reality we are looking for an experienced, self-motivated, and flexible programme management professional to join the Council’s Corporate Policy and Insight function.
In driving a progressive agenda for tackling climate change, we have partnered with the Edinburgh Centre for Carbon Innovation at Edinburgh University (ECCI) and EIT Climate-KIC - Europe's largest public-private partnership for action on climate change - to become one of only 15 European cities leading the way on climate change as part of the ‘Healthy, Clean, Cities Deep Demonstration’ programme. As part of this programme, we will work with ECCI, Climate-KIC, and wider city partners over the next 5 years to scope and implement the system innovation and investment that is needed at the whole-city scale to meet the challenge of becoming a healthy, clean, carbon neutral city by 2030. This work will be informed by the newly established independent [Climate Commission for Edinburgh], which the Council is co-sponsoring with ECCI and the UK-wide Place-based Climate Action Network, hosted by the London School of Economics.
The Project Manager - Programme Management will provide oversight of the Council’s internal sustainability programme and support the delivery of our outward-facing Healthy, Clean, Cities Deep Demonstration project. This will include establishing and maintaining sound project management systems and working with the Project Support Officer to meet performance and financial monitoring and requirements. The post will also act as the lead contact for, and support to, Edinburgh’s Independent Climate Commission, working closely with the team’s Communications and Engagement Officer support the Council’s contribution to the Commission’s work.
The position is offered as a fixed term one-year contract initially, with the possibility of extension subject to external funding.
The successful candidate will:
• Demonstrate strong leadership skills and show a high degree of commitment and personal responsibility
• Have the energy, enthusiasm and drive to needed to take forward a fast-paced programme of change and to motivate others across a range of teams and partner organisations
• Take a mission-oriented approach to strategic collaboration with citizens and communities, Council colleagues, and partners in the public, private and third sectors
• Have a strong track record in the management of strategic programmes gained within a large and complex environment, preferably within the public sector
• Demonstrate excellent knowledge and experience of the application of a range of programme and project management approaches, processes and methodologies, including performance monitoring and reporting
• Show significant experience in working with a range of partners
Our salary range typically reflects the initial starting salary and annually increases until it reaches the top of the range. For roles in grade 5 or above, annual increments in our contribution zones are dependent on achieving agreed performance goals.
The advertised salary will increase by 3% on 1st April 2020.
Follow us on Twitter at @edincounciljobs