- Southbank House, Southbank Business Park, Kirkintilloch, G66 1XQ
- £23,851.44 - £27,592.49 per year
- Contract Type:
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 35 hours per week
This position has expired.
We are looking to recruit a Building Standards Inspector to join the Development Applications service.
Reporting to the Building Standards Team Leader, the successful candidate will be part of a team dealing with all aspects of the Building Standards function. The role of inspector predominantly involves undertaking checks to ensure that work on site is carried out in accordance with approved plans and the Building Regulations. Using computerised building standards related systems, you will also be required to create and maintain all the necessary records related to site inspection activities, and prepare reports on items of non-compliance for issue to applicants and agents. The successful applicant will also be encouraged to become involved in a progressive role in the assessment of Applications for Building Warrant. In addition, you will be expected to provide advice and assistance where necessary on any other Building Standards related matters.
Please note all applicants should meet the minimum requirements as stipulated in the role profile, and the starting salary for the successful applicant is negotiable in respect of a salary matching process. The role does not require a formal qualification but would suit someone with a moderate level of experience in the construction industry and an awareness of the building standards system and the role of local authority verifiers. The successful candidate would be supported in terms of career development, and this would be an excellent opportunity for someone looking to start a career in the Building Standards industry. The role offers an excellent opportunity to work alongside Building Standards Surveyors to gain knowledge and experience and to get involved in a variety of interesting projects programmed across East Dunbartonshire in the coming years.
We are currently working to both national guidance and our own risk assessment protocols in respect of COVID-19.
For further information on this post, please contact John Paul Rennie, Building Standards Team Leader on 0141 578 8600
Charter of Commitment
The commitment by East Dunbartonshire Council to job applicants is as follows:
• Individuals will be treated in a polite, friendly and welcoming manner.
• Equalities monitoring will be conducted to ensure a fair and equitable process with
screening being carried out to anonymise sensitive information such as age, gender and disability.
• The information that we receive will be treated in confidence and with discretion. Only the relevant HR representative/team and the relevant service will see the application form.
• We will encourage and welcome applications from applicants under the disability symbol. Where the essential criteria are met an interview will be offered to those applying under the disability symbol.
• We will be pleased to make any reasonable adjustments to ensure accessibility at the interview.
• We will advise you within reasonable time after the closing date if you have not met the interview criteria. (Normally within 4 weeks)
• We will advise you of meeting the criteria for interview normally within 3 weeks.
• We will advise you if you have been successful or unsuccessful at the interview stage as soon as practically possible.
The following criteria applies to all roles within East Dunbartonshire Council where PVG/Disclosure checks are essential criteria
Where the post you are applying for is considered Regulated Work under the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Act, 2007, successful candidates will be required to join the PVG Scheme, or undergo a PVG Scheme Update check, prior to confirmation of employment being made by East Dunbartonshire Council.
Please note, successful candidates will be expected to meet the cost of the relevant check which will be deducted from the successful candidate’s first salary payment.
In specific circumstances the payment could be deducted in instalments from an employee’s wages following commencement of employment. Approval in such circumstances will be made by HR Services Lead.
Should an employee leave in advance of the payment being deducted, the full amount will be deducted from the employee’s final salary.
The criteria outlined above will apply to existing employees of East Dunbartonshire Council who apply for roles for which a PVG/Disclosure check is required.