- Council, HQ. Almada Street, Hamilton
- £32,994 - £42,410 per year
- Contract Type:
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 35 hours per week
This position has expired.
South Lanarkshire Council are seeking to recruit a Solicitor to be part of a busy Legal Team which aims to provide the highest quality legal service and advice to the Council across all areas.
Your role will be focused on delivering a legal service to client services across the Council in relation to procurement law and contracts, knowledge of these areas is essential.
Applications are invited from enrolled solicitors with a current Law Society of Scotland Practising Certificate.
Please Apply online
All correspondence will be via your email address registered with myjobscotland.
This post is excepted in terms of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 2003.
The successful candidates will be subject to criminal records checks provided by Disclosure Scotland.
Please refer to http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk for further information about the disclosure process and best practice.
This post has been politically restricted in terms of the Local Government and Housing Act 1989.
Equal Opportunities and Armed Forces Community Covenant
South Lanarkshire Council are Equal Opportunities employer and encourage applications from all members of the community. As a user of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum behaviour requirements for the position
South Lanarkshire Council is committed to providing support to members of the armed forces, veterans and their families which is set out in the Armed Forces Community Covenant. Veterans are guaranteed an interview who meet the minimum requirements for the position.
To carry out all legal work for the Council in a cost effective manner and in accordance with approved procedures and standards in some, or all, of the following areas:
- To represent the Council in Court, Tribunals or other Judicial / Quasi Judicial Hearings, including the Clerking of the District Court and Licensing Board.
- To carry out conveyancing related work, including disposals, acquisitions (voluntary and compulsory), leases, deeds of servitude
- To carry out contract related work, including tendering, drafting, revising, interpretation and enforcing of Council contracts.
- To provide legal advice and assistance on a pro-active basis on all Council matters to Members and Officers of the Council in accordance with Corporate and service priorities and standards within agreed timescales.
- To ensure that the Council acts intra vires in all matters.
- To act at all times in the best interests of the Council and comply with the Code of Conduct
- To advise and prepare reports for and attend Committees as required.
As an employee of South Lanarkshire Council, you would also receive a wide range of benefits including:
- Enrolment in award winning local government pension scheme
- Up to 32 days annual leave
- Public holiday entitlement (up to 10 days)
- Occupational sick pay
- Family friendly policies - flexible working and leave, maternity/paternity leave, enhanced leave.
- Employee Discounts – including discounts at the cinema.
- Range of benefits to support you (Cycle to Work Scheme, Physiotherapy, Employee Assistance Program which offers practical and emotional support)