- West Lothian Civic Centre, Howden South Road, Livingston, EH54 6FF
- £41,670 - £47,658 per year
- Contract Type:
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 36 hours per week
This position has expired.
Planning Services are seeking to employ a Senior Structural Engineer in Building Standards to work at Civic Centre, Livingston.
The purpose of the Senior Structural Engineer is to provide a structural engineering statutory service to Building Standards to verify that applications for building warrant fully comply with the building regulations pertaining to structure and contaminated land.
To ensure that the council can take effective and informed action when required to discharge its statutory duty to investigate and remove dangers posed by the structural instability of buildings or other structures and to provide a structural/civil engineering design and/or advisory service to Building Standards, other council services and other local authorities when required.
To provide a leading and supportive role within the building standards team and to support the Building Standards Manager and Principals in the effective management of the section.
Essential requirements for the post are:
- Possess Chartered membership of Institution of Civil Engineers (MICE) or the Institution of Structural Engineers (MIStructE).
- Detailed knowledge and skill in all aspects of structural engineering with a knowledge of the Building (Scotland) Act, associated legislation and the detail and application of the Building Standards.
- Experience in designing and/or checking building construction projects and calculations for compliance with the building regulations and mandatory standards.
- Familiar with but not experts in, Health and Safety legislation, and be able to identify, assess and understand the implications of dangerous and unauthorised building works on public safety.
- Inspecting building work on site in order to ensure compliance with approved plans and identify where rectification is required.
- Extensive professional experience of all aspects of design and construction etc.
- Good verbal and oral communication skills and be able to write technical reports in a manner understood by both professional and lay persons.
- Highly developed numeracy and IT skills.
- Valid full driving license.