- North East Scotland College, Aberdeen Altens Campus, Harness Road, Altens Industrial Estate, AB12 3LE
- £18,755.68 - £20,914 per year
- Contract Type:
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 35 hours per week
Workshop Assistant (Ref. No. A851)
Full time/Permanent/Altens Campus
Salary: £18,755.68 - £20,914.00 per annum
A vacancy for a Workshop Assistant has become available at the Altens Campus, reporting to the Senior Technician (Altens) - Technical Services Team. You will be required to provide support and assistance to College staff, students and external clients in the Altens Workshops environment and in particular to the Brickwork and Construction areas.
This is a physical and labour intensive post, which involves cleaning bricks, concrete and Granite blocks with additional take down of student assessments and includes mortar mixing to specified building and training standards to maintain the support to the curriculum and apprentice programmes.
You should be educated to standard grade Level (SCQF level 4), with a willingness to undertake training in safe working practices and ideally provide evidence of Industry experience. The successful candidate will be physically fit and have a basic knowledge of the Construction Industry and ideally have additional knowledge of engineering practices, equipment and material.
It would be advantageous to have experience of forklift driving and the use of stackers and pallet trucks, along with good knowledge of safe working practices in the building trade environment. You will have good oral and written communication, numeracy and team-working skills, with an ability to develop positive working relationships and able to work on your own initiative with minimal supervision.
The College encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds.
The closing date for applications will be 03/10/2021.
( all criteria are essential)
- Standard grades or equivalent (SCQF Level 4)
- Willingness to undertake training in safe working practices – eg, manual handling/safe use of machinery
- Evidence of continuous professional development
EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
- Basic knowledge of building/constructing/engineering trades.
- Basic storekeeping skills.
- Experience of construction and/or engineering practices.
- Experience of basic construction and/or engineering tools and machinery.
- Experience of the use of Stackers and Pallet trucks.
SKILLS AND PERSONAL QUALITIES
- Oral and written communication skills
- Numeracy skills
- Able to work on own initiative and without supervision
- Team working skills
- Physical fitness (sufficient to move and install equipment).
- Able to develop positive working relationships
- Committed to providing a quality service
- Commitment to College values and equal opportunities
- Able to work flexibly to meet the demands of the post