- Location: Perth College UHI, Crieff Road, PH1 2NX
- Salary: £52,245.00 - £59,025.00 per year per annum
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Position Type: Full Time
- Hours: 35 hours per week
This position has expired.
- Head of Finance
- 35 hours per week
- £52,245 to £59,025 per annum
- Full Time, Permanent
Perth College UHI is one of Scotland’s leading Colleges of Further and Higher Education, and a large partner in Scotland’s newest University, the University of the Highlands and Islands. We have an exciting opportunity for a talented and experienced Head of Finance to join the College.
As the Head of Finance, you will lead all aspects of the strategic finance function of the College. You will support members of the Senior Management team to lead on the development and implementation of a cost-effective College Finance Strategy that ensures effective financial controls whilst facilitating the achievement of college goals through effective use of college resources.
The ideal candidate will hold a relevant accountancy qualification and will have worked in a similar role with strong team and board leadership experience. You will have the ability to foster excellent working relationships, ensuring a high level of customer service. It is essential that you have the ability to execute strategic decisions, manage statutory and management accounts and have experience in capital budgetary and asset management.
This role will also involve working with the College Management Team, the Senior Management Team, statutory bodies and other stakeholders. It is essential that you have demonstrable experience of leadership, political sensitivity, communication, and influencing and people management skills.
For an informal discussion about this vacancy, please contact Katy Harrington, Head of HR & Organisational Development on 01738 877229 or by email on email@example.com
Closing date: 10am on 13 November 2019
Interviews: Interviews will be held on 4 December 2019
Purpose of Post
The ongoing development and implementation of a financial strategy that will deliver a high quality, proactive financial management and management information service to provide the relevant financial management information and associated reports to support the operational and strategic requirements of the college.
- Leads on the development and implementation of an effective and efficient financial strategy for the College ensuring effective financial controls whilst facilitating the achievement of college goals through effective use of college resources.
- Provides effective management and leadership to the Finance team ensuring an excellent proactive service focussing on customer service and continuous improvements, the promotion of best practice and on-going support to managers in effective financial management.
- Leads the development, review and implementation of a framework of financial and procurement policies and procedures which support the priorities as set out in the College Strategic Plan ensuring that they are regularly reviewed monitored and maintained to ensure compliance with legislation and regulations and as part of the commitment to continuous improvement.
- Prepares timely and accurate monthly and annual financial and management accounts, ensuring financial transactions comply with current legislation, audit compliance, internal financial control and risk management protocols.
- Ensure all returns and reports required by statutory bodies and stakeholders, including the Scottish Funding Council and the University of the Highlands, are prepared accurately and within prescribed time scales.
- Prepares and issues monthly management accounts to strict deadlines for consideration by SMT, CMT and budget holders.
- Prepares management and financial reports to the Perth College UHI Board of Management
- Provides assistance and guidance to all users of financial information in interpreting financial data and promoting a greater understanding of financial data amongst managers through the development of financial management skills across the college.
- Involvement in all financial aspects of significant capital projects.
- Liaise with both internal and external auditors as appropriate, managing the relevant processes.
- Ensure the ongoing development and maintenance of effective finance and payroll systems to provide information to underpin the effective budgeting, cost control and managerial decision making processes through the production of accurate and timely data and reports.
- Liaise and work with other managers with a financial management role in the academic partners of the University of the Highlands and Islands to promote and represent the College.
- Attend College Board of Management and relevant sub-committees as well as relevant internal College committees and meetings.
- Lead the College Procurement function and relationship with APUC.
- Membership of College Management Team (CMT)
- Membership of Procurement committee.
This job description does not present an exhaustive list of duties and the post holder is required to undertake other activities as reasonably instructed commensurate with the role and level of responsibility in fulfilment of the purpose of the post
- The post holder reports to the Vice Principal External. The post holder is responsible for all staff within the Finance Team.
Terms and Conditions
- This post is governed by Management terms and conditions, which are not subject to collective national bargaining processes.
Equality and Diversity
- The post holder is expected to be familiar with and to comply with the terms of the College’s Equal Opportunities Strategy and associated schemes.
Health and Safety
- The post holder is expected to be familiar with and to comply with the terms of the College’s policies and procedures ensuring the health, safety and well-being of staff, students and visitors.
- There are no identified specific health and safety risks or training needs associated with this post.
Date job description reviewed: October 2019
Reviewed by: Veronica Lynch, Vice Principal External