- Location: RGU Garthdee, AB10 7GJ
- Salary: £34,804.00 - £40,322.00 per year
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Position Type: Full Time
- Hours: 37 hours per week
Focused and driven, you will be committed to playing a key role in shaping the future direction of RGU SPORT within our newly expanding team.
You will lead a number of strategic initiatives utilising your knowledge, experience and innovative thinking to improve and develop business activities and membership sales. You will also use your knowledge and experience to develop staff to ensure RGU SPORT continues to be operationally efficient and commercially viable.
You will be committed to providing a high quality customer service and student experience at the university and will understand the importance of analysing data to do so. You will have extensive knowledge of sport, physical activity and leisure fields in particularly surrounding facility management.
Educated to degree level in a sport/ leisure or management related discipline, you will have proven management experience within a sport, fitness and exercise field, personal confidence and composure, excellent communication skills and a strong commitment to customer care. You will have experience of working in a customer focused environment with skills related to managing projects, budgets and motivation.
This is a fantastic opportunity to gain relevant industry experience in a fast paced exciting environment through a period of development and also to gain continuing professional development
This post is subject to the individual being required to join the PVG scheme. For more information visit: http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/disclosureinformation/pvgscheme.htm
Salary on first appointment is normally to the bottom of the scale, although in exceptional circumstances an appointment further up the scale may be considered.
Closing Date: 23 October 2019
RESPONSIBLE TO: Head of Sport
RESPONSIBLE FOR: Team Leads x 3
PURPOSE OF POST: The role is to provide visible leadership of business activities and membership sales, as well as developing and training the operational team to ensure that RGU SPORT continues to be operationally efficient and commercially viable.
1. Ensure effective and visible line management of Team Leads with a particular focus on continuing professional development of the team which delivers against strategy.
2. Be responsible for the leadership of business work areas including operational administration, Health and Safety, Marketing and promotion, Building maintenance and cleanliness as well as specific operational programmes such as Group Exercise and Climbing.
3. Focus on business performance analysis particularly related to memberships, setting key membership sales and usage targets in conjunction with the Head of Sport ensuring these are met in collaboration with the wider team.
4. Manage a complex set of service operations and functions with key focus on operational efficiency and financial effectiveness.
5. Keep up to date with market trends and analysis to ensure business relevance and development.
6. Assist with controlling specific areas of the department’s budget and maintaining an appropriate audit trail in line with university procedures.
7. To work closely with Head of Sport to deliver against the strategic objective of RGU SPORT and the wider university.
8. Build effective working relationships internally with other managers across the University and externally by representing the University's interests in relevant internal and external forums.
9. Assure compliance with the University’s policies and procedures.
10. Ensure the legal requirements relating to Health & Safety and child protection are met.
11. Be a key and active member of the RGU SPORT management team, occasionally deputising for the Head of Sport when appropriate.
12. Carry out other related duties as required.
Qualifications/ Professional Memberships
• Sport/Leisure or Management related degree or equivalent experience.
• Managerial experience within a similar sport, exercise and fitness environment, which had responsibility for line management and staff development.
• Proven ability to deliver against strategic direction regarding the development, organisation and delivery of a commercially focussed operational facility.
• Experience of managing facility operations including the organisation and delivery of operational aspects of facility management such as; Health and Safety compliance, building maintenance and budget management.
• Experience in the use of IT packages to improve administrative processes and business management.
• Knowledge and experience in leading and motivating people.
• Experience of sales and marketing.
• Experience of project management, business analytics and producing business plans / proposals.
• Evidence of Continual Professional Development
Qualifications/ Professional Memberships
• Hold a full UK Drivers licence.
• Recognised Health and Safety Qualifications
• Fitness Industry Qualifications
• Knowledge and Experience of the Higher Education Sector
• Additional management experience in areas such as team motivation and change management.
• Experience of Leisure Management Systems
• Management experience within a higher education sport department.
• Experience of recruiting, training and appraising staff
Behaviour 1: Service Delivery - Experience of exploring and adapting a service to meet customers’ expectations and also identifying ways of improving standards
Behaviour 2: Communication - Ability to receive, understand and convey both straightforward information, and information requiring careful explanation, in a clear and accurate manner
Behaviour 3: Planning and Organising Resources - Experience of planning, prioritising and organising the work of yourself and others (within own area) on a daily, weekly or monthly basis, whilst ensuring the effective use of resources
Behaviour 4: Team Work and Motivation - Experience of being a team leader, agreeing clear team objectives and organising and delegating tasks according to individual abilities
Behaviour 5: Decision Making - Experience of using own judgement to make decisions, making collaborative decisions with others to reach conclusions and providing advice or information that will influence the decisions of others
Behaviour 6: Team Development - Experience of providing advice or guidance to new starts, delivering training or instruction to others on specific tasks or activities and identifying the training and development needs of the team and carrying out performance appraisals