- RGU Garthdee, AB10 7GJ
- £69,285.00 - £95,266.00 per year
- Contract Type:
- Position Type:
- Full Time
This position has expired.
Robert Gordon University was recently voted Scottish University of the Year (according to Times Good University Guide 2021) and is widely recognized for its teaching excellence, student centred approach, and as one of the UK’s top universities for graduate employability. Achieving TEF Gold and the second highest rating in Scotland for overall student satisfaction the University has an impressive track record as an innovative and industry engaged institution with an outstanding reputation for scholarship and impact producing highly sought-after graduates. Situated in a purpose built and modern parkland campus near to Aberdeen city centre, the University can also boast first rate facilities for its community of 16,000 students and 1500 staff. With a newly appointed Principal, this is also the start of a new and exciting chapter for the University as it seeks to build on its recent successes.
Delivering an effective and adaptable IT and digital strategy will be critical for the future success of the University. The Director of IT and Digital will be a key member of the senior management team, reporting to the Vice Principal for Corporate Operations and leading a range of mission critical technology-based services to a wide and varied customer base. In recent years, digital and IT services have undergone a transformation culminating in a new strategic approach to service delivery and as Director you will be leading a highly regarded and motivated team of professional experts, who deliver technology enhanced learning. Delivering further transformation of the digital environment, you’ll oversee a number of key university system projects designed to improve performance and efficiency. Continuing the modernisation agenda, your key role will be to combine strategic thinking with operational excellence in a complex range of technical service operations.
Whilst experience of higher education is not essential you must have a real appreciation of the technical digital challenges and opportunities faced by universities and a real empathy with the desire to provide modern transformative education in the real world. Alongside your technical expertise, you will also possess excellent interpersonal and leadership qualities and be an experienced influencer at a strategic level. You should be able to demonstrate a team based, collegiate and collaborative way of working with a sharp focus on results, resilience and flexibility.
To find out more about this exceptional opportunity with one of the country’s leading modern and innovative universities based in Aberdeen, please contact our recruitment consultant Alan Walter, Dixon Walter on 07876 766972, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit https://www.dixonwalter.co.uk/opportunities/rgu-director-of-it-and-digi…
This post is subject to a Disclosure Scotland check. For more information visit: https://www.mygov.scot/standard-disclosure
Relocation assistance will be available, subject to conditions.
For more information, visit:
Closing date for applications is Friday 30th April with final interviews scheduled for 25th May
ROLE PURPOSE AND FOCUS: The Director of IT is responsible for providing leadership, drive and vision for the IT department, planning, development and implementation of the IT and Digital strategy within the context of the RGU overall strategy. The role holder provides thought, strategic and operational leadership and management to the Information Technology function, including IT talent development.
Key priorities for the University in the next 2-3 years which will involve significant IT input will include
(1) Development and leadership of the IT team by providing empowering, motivating, inspiring values based leadership.
(2) The technology enhancement of teaching, learning, and research strategy which will include digital solutions to support open access, research contract management and research data management;
(3) Digital transformation and the use of digital environments to support student recruitment and marketing across all the University’s activities and move to a digital campus approach;
(4) Continued transformation of the Key university systems and projects, and the delivery of a university wide approach to IT project and programme planning.
Although these priorities will be led as University initiatives by those with responsibilities in each area, this post will have a significant partnership and leadership role, to ensure that the IT contribution is effectively planned and delivered as an integral part in each of these priority developments.
• Foster a culture of positive customer focused service delivery, values based team ethos and attitude among all IT staff.
• Lead the continued development and implementation of the IT & Digital support for the University to enable the delivery of the University’s strategy ensuring that the IT strategy will deliver IT services across, and beyond the University’s campuses in order to drive and secure delivery of the University academic, student engagement/experience, commercial, research and administrative plans and aspirations. In so doing determine the most appropriate technology models and team structure to support achievement of strategic IT objectives.
• Development of investment plans for IT systems and infrastructure required to deliver the IT Strategy and contribute effectively to the broader financial planning of strategic initiatives involving the use of IT.
• Ensure that IT support for approved projects is managed and reported on effectively with the required resource in place.
• Ensure that the University’s portfolio of IT operational services is delivered with the required level of performance and capacity and, in the case of critical services, that they are robust with high availability and delivered in line with recognized service standards.
• Ensure that significant operational IT risks for the University are identified and managed, with effective business continuity arrangements documented and in place.
• Represent the University as appropriate by chairing or serving on internal and external meetings, committees, working and advisory groups including as required;
• Lead the development of strategic and collaborative technology partnerships externally where these provide value for money and/or reduce risk and/or enhance service quality and pace of implementation.
• Degree in IT related discipline and/or significant equivalent experience in a senior IT leadership post (i.e. Head of IT service in an SME or Deputy/Head of IT service) in a large and complex organisation
• Consistent achievement at IT senior management level (i.e. Head of IT service in an SME or Deputy/Head of IT service) demonstrating substantial leadership and senior management experience
• Proven experience in leading a 24/7 IT service within a large and complex customer focused organisation.
• Proven track record of successfully delivery of complex IT and digital development projects, which involve significant organisational impact, budgetary, human resource and timescale considerations
• Experience of working in a high pressure, rapidly changing political environment
•Expertise of working within recognised IT service and project standards such as ITIL, PRINCE 2 etc
• A demonstrable record of establishing and maintaining a strong and effective, innovative performance culture to meet corporate objectives and deliver services that are responsive and customer-focused
• Excellent leadership skills that encourage commitment from others and promote a positive and motivated organisational culture
• Experience of leading the formulation and delivery of corporate objectives, IT policies and strategies
• An excellent track record of building internal and external relationships which deliver effective working across organisational boundaries
• Effective communication and influencing skills, with an ability to inspire and encourage engagement on strategic issues with all stakeholders
• Proven experience of leading, motivating, developing and coaching a professional IT team
• Proven people management skills able to coach, motivate and develop a multi-disciplinary team
• Significant experience of IT Change management, driving a culture of engagement, collaboration and innovation