- RGU Garthdee, AB10 7GJ
- £25,217 - £27,511 per year
- Contract Type:
- Fixed Term
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 37 hours per week
This position has expired.
We are seeking a highly motivated and professional individual to join our newly established Marketing Insights team at Robert Gordon University (RGU) following a strategic investment in this area. Market insights is at the heart of attracting, engaging and delivering exception student and stakeholder experiences. You will play a key role in producing effective and professional market insight and research and will have experience of using data and its analysis to inform successful online marketing and recruitment activity, using a range of qualitative and quantitative market research techniques.
Two roles are initially for a fixed term period of 12 months. One will focus on the University’s UK and overseas online recruitment market. RGU is currently the third largest provider of distance learning Master’s courses in the UK (HESA 2019/2020. RGU is committed to growing its marketing insights capabilities within the online market and is placing significant investment in the team to support the realisation of its strategic ambitions and revenue targets. The other will focus RGU’s widening participation initiative aims to extend access to learning and enable talented individuals from under-represented groups to achieve their ambitions through higher education whatever their circumstances.
Both roles would suit a graduate in a relevant field of data analysis and visualisation looking to start a new career.
Salary on first appointment is normally to the bottom of the scale, although in exceptional circumstances an appointment further up the scale may be considered.
Informal enquiries should be addressed to Michael Turnbull, Market Insight Analyst, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RESPONSIBLE TO: Market Insight Analyst
RESPONSIBLE FOR: No direct reports
PURPOSE OF POST: To work effectively within the Marketing Insight team to produce effective and professional market insight and research supporting the realisation of the University’s strategic ambitions and revenue targets.
Work with team colleagues to provide comprehensive market insight as directed by the Market Insight Analyst.
Maintain a current and broad understanding of and inform the business priorities of Schools, relevant support departments and the wider University and relate this to the production of insight.
Support with the provision of detailed market insight in particular areas (i.e. the online market or widening access) within the University, provide relevant individuals with insights and support their needs in relation (a) the development of plans to achieve and monitor campaign plans; and (b) to portfolio development and review.
Support with, and where necessary design, the analysis and reporting of data generated from both the University’s internal databases and external data sets (including those provided by UCAS and HESA or wider public and commercial data sets) to generate a competitive advantage.
Support the undertaking of qualitative market research in the UK and overseas market
Collect information from and interpret evidence gathered from of relevant key stakeholders that relates to any market insight activity.
Support the marketing, student recruitment and widening access functions through the analysis of data derived from student recruitment and marketing activities.
Communicate findings of any analysis generated through written reports and presentations to the wider University.
Support with the design and development of dashboards that allows other members of staff to access and visualise key market insight data.
Ensure that confidentiality of information is maintained in line with data protection requirements and University Policy.
Provide additional reports and analysis on an ad hoc basis on issues of particular and immediate topics of interest or areas of concern.
Provide other general planning support to the wider Strategy, Planning & Policy Department as and when required.
Qualifications and Professional Memberships
• First degree or equivalent experience
Knowledge and skills
• Knowledge and experience in the use of data visualisation best practice
• An understanding of data protection and its application to statistical reporting
• Understanding of approaches to quantitative and qualitative market research in higher education
• Good interpersonal skills with the ability to successfully delivery projects
• Good oral communication and presentation skills
• Ability to work with tact and diplomacy and maintain high customer standards
• Accuracy and attention to detail
• Ability to work effectively as part of a small team
• Highly motivated, flexible and adaptable nature
• Analytical skills particularly in the use of statistical data
• Research skills with the ability to combine complex information from various sources
• Data visualisation skills
• Proven ability of succinct report writing which enables decision making
Qualifications and Professional Memberships
• Further qualification in a relevant subject area, such as data analytics or marketing
• Membership of the Market Research Society, Chartered Institute of Marketing or other relevant professional body
• Working knowledge of data preparation, blending and analytics software
• Understanding of the main sources of higher education market research
• Demonstrable knowledge of online learning or widening access within a University context
• Market research experience in higher education and ideally with some international exposure
• Experience in survey design, execution and analysis and other standard research techniques
• Ability to work with Tableau and/or Alteryx to analyse data and create visualisations
Behaviour 1: Communication - Ability to receive, understand and convey both straightforward information, and information requiring careful explanation, in a clear and accurate manner
Behaviour 2: Service Delivery - Experience of giving customers a positive and satisfactory service, by providing accurate and up to date knowledge of services available in own and related areas of work
Behaviour 3: Liaison and Networking - Experience of circulating information in an accurate and timely manner, working across team boundaries to build and strengthen working relationships and leading and developing internal networks to pursue a shared interest
Behaviour 4: Decision Making - Experience of using own judgement to make decisions, making collaborative decisions with others to reach conclusions and providing advice or information that will influence the decisions of others