- Various RGU partner locations, AB10 7AQ
- £30,942 - £33,797 per year
- Contract Type:
- Fixed Term
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 37 hours per week
RGU and the Oil & Gas Technology Centre have partnered to create the National Subsea Centre (NSC), a multi-million-pound Centre of Excellence for Subsea Research and Technology development. The NSC will harness the University’s academic expertise, research capability and facilities to establish a world-class research and development centre focused on tackling the underwater challenges faced by all marine industries tackling sustainable economic development.
There will be a focus on applied Digital science coupled with Subsea engineering and Energy Integration. We aim to accelerate the development and adoption of marine engineering and technologies that unlock the full potential of the UKCS as a sustainable energy hub that builds upon the UK’s leadership in a growing global market. The NSC will be working across industrial sectors (oil and gas, offshore marine renewables, marine aquaculture) within the context of the Blue economy.
We are seeking to employ a highly motivated Research Assistant with expertise in one or more of the following fields: hyperspectral imaging, machine learning or big data analytics. You'll be part of the prestigious National Subsea Centre, Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, at the heart of cutting edge research in multimodal image fusion based non-destructive inspection, for an initial period of 60 months.
You'll contribute towards the development of the generic data fusion and inspection platform, including new algorithms and application driven R&D, including but not limited to subsea applications. In addition to support the delivery of various industrial projects, you are also expected to support the exploitation of new opportunities with the funding bodes and industrial partners.
You will be predominately based at the National Subsea Centre at Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen. Travel will be required from time to time to visit industrial or academic collaborators or to disseminate research.
If you'd like to discuss the opportunity before making an application, please contact Professor Jincheng Ren at email@example.com
You will be encouraged to register as a part-time PhD student within RGU to improve the knowledge and engagement.
This role is offered on a fixed term basis for 5 years initially.
To apply , click on the apply link, complete your basic details on the form provided and attach a CV and cover letter, detailing how you meet the requirements for this post.
This post is subject to a Disclosure Scotland check. For more information visit: https://www.mygov.scot/basic-disclosure/
Salary on first appointment is normally to the bottom of the scale, although in exceptional circumstances an appointment further up the scale may be considered.
We would particularly welcome applications from women as they are under-represented in this area of our workforce.
RESPONSIBLE TO: Professor Jinchang Ren
RESPONSIBLE FOR: No supervisory responsibilities
PURPOSE OF POST:
In this post you will help to contribute towards the development of the generic data fusion and inspection platform, including new algorithms and application driven R&D, including but not limited to subsea applications. In addition to support the delivery of various industrial projects, you are also expected to support the exploitation of new opportunities with the funding bodes and industrial partners.
• Delivery of research projects and support the preparation of grant applications.
• Carry out experimental work under supervision and contribute to the writing of academic publications.
• Make presentations at conferences, workshops and seminars, as directed, to disseminate the outcome of research work.
• Interact with academic and research staff within the Centre and its research groups to develop an awareness of research and research methods and to inform research activity.
• Work towards a PhD degree where appropriate and as agreed with the Line Manager.
• Undertake any other reasonable duties that may be requested by the Academic Team.
Qualifications and Professional Memberships
Master with Merit in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering, Machine Learning and Data Sciences or related subject
• Image processing algorithms and tools with applications in real industrial projects.
• Machine learning for detection, recognition and classification based smart decision making
• Big data analytics in fusion of multimodal data for condition monitoring and asset management.
• Successful delivery of engineering projects including design, analysis and implementation during previous study.
• Demonstrated team-working and deadline-met skills and experience in study and project delivery.
• Strong programming and fast prototype skills in Matlab, Python, R and other relevant languages.
• Journal publications shown in the track record.
Qualifications and Professional Memberships
• Deep learning networks and applications
• Hyperspectral imaging, especially optimised data acquisition, analysis and visualisation, including band selection, unmixing and feature mining et al.
• Optimisation algorithms and mechanisms for dimension reduction, effective feature representation and more efficient/effective implementation.
• Support grant application including survey, critical thinking and reporting.
• Multidisciplinary working including computer science, AI, engineering, and industrial liaisons.
• Good publication record including journal and conference publications.
Behaviour 1 - Communication - Ability to receive, understand and convey information requiring careful explanation and information of a complex or conceptual nature, in a clear and accurate manner.
Behaviour 2 - Service Delivery - Experience of exploring and adapting a service to meet customers’ expectations and also identifying ways of improving standards.
Behaviour 3 - Analysis and Research - Experience of identifying or designing data gathering and analytical methods appropriate for each investigation, and producing reports that identify key issues and findings.
Behaviour 4 - Liaison and Networking - Experience of circulating information in an accurate and timely manner, working across team boundaries to build and strengthen working relationships and leading and developing internal networks to pursue a shared interest.
Behaviour 5 - Teaching and Learning Support - Experience of providing standard information or delivering teaching or training, designing content or learning materials within existing frameworks and developing innovative approaches to learning experience and the curriculum.
Behaviour 6 - Decision Making - Experience of using own judgement to make decisions, making collaborative decisions with others to reach conclusions and providing advice or information that will influence the decisions of others.