- Location: RGU Garthdee, AB10 7GJ
- Salary: £30,942.00 - £33,797.00 per year
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Position Type: Full Time
- Hours: 37 hours per week
This is an exciting opportunity to play a key role in building RGU’s reputation regionally, nationally and internationally by positively positioning the university among key internal and external stakeholders.
The role will focus on effective external and internal communications to raise awareness of the impact of the university through the delivery of its teaching, student experience, research and economic development, while promoting its culture and engagement with key stakeholders and influencers.
You will lead on key areas of the university’s corporate communications strategy which includes proactive stakeholder engagement, strategic content development, media relations, public affairs and internal communications. The role will have a particular focus on public and external affairs and the targeting of messaging and content for specific external and internal stakeholder groups.
Salary on first appointment is normally to the bottom of the scale, although in exceptional circumstances an appointment further up the scale may be considered.
Closing Date: 29th September 2019
RESPONSIBLE TO: Communications Manager
RESPONSIBLE FOR: N/A
PURPOSE OF POST: Building RGU’s reputation regionally, nationally and internationally by positively positioning the university among key internal and external stakeholders. The role will have a particular focus on public and external affairs, developing and implementing activities to proactively engage with key organisational stakeholders. This will include tailoring strategic messaging for external and internal audiences to influence perceptions and behaviours.
The role will have responsibility for the following key aspects of internal and external communications activity:
Lead on the development and delivery of the university’s public/external affairs plan designed to promote the university’s delivery of key regional and national priorities to a range of stakeholders through the impact of its teaching, student experience, research and economic development.
Lead on the development and delivery of an internal communications plan designed to promote strategic messaging to ensure internal stakeholders feel informed and involved in the direction of the university.
Contribute to the operational management of the communications department, including monitoring departmental priorities and activities.
Identify, develop and coordinate strategic messaging and storylines for key stakeholders to promote the delivery of RGU’s strategy, demonstrating achievements and reinforcing its strengths and culture.
Produce content for multimedia purposes for publication through external and internal multimedia channels.
Lead on the development an annual editorial calendar focused on creating and curating valuable relevant content which capitalises on internally and externally-led communication opportunities.
Support the communications manager with the university’s reputation management, including the delivery of crisis communications protocol for external and internal communications.
Advise and support staff to create a better understanding of key audiences and various communication channels.
Support the development of a diverse mix of channels and coordinated communications tactics to support the communication strategy.
Manage social media channels, planning, producing and publishing content and responding to messages.
Report on the performance of communication channels and tactics and make recommendations for improvement.
Qualifications and Professional Memberships
First degree in communications-related discipline or significant background in corporate communications.
- Knowledge and skills
- Knowledge of the public and/or external affairs environment, including communicating with influential organisational stakeholders or policy makers.
- Understanding of stakeholder engagement, including tailoring strategic messaging, content and channels to target specific internal and external stakeholder groups.
- Excellent stakeholder relations capabilities and project management skills.
- High level writing skills and multimedia content development ability, including creating content for digital and print channels to reach specific audiences.
- Ability to develop, manage and deliver focused plans aligned with organisational and departmental strategies.
- Excellent teamwork skills, including working collaboratively to deliver on departmental priorities and integrated communication campaigns.
- Ability to lead on the operational management of a department, including monitoring the delivery of departmental priorities and activities.
- Proven experience of high level writing skills and strategic content development.
- Proven experience in targeted stakeholder engagement, including use of content and multimedia channels to reach specific audiences.
- Demonstrated experience in public and/or external affairs, including building relationships, developing strategic messaging and collateral targeted at organisational external stakeholders.
- Experience of targeted communications to promote the organisational culture, strategic messaging and facilitate the cascading of key organisational information to a range of internal stakeholders.
- Experience of measurement tools and performance reporting.
- Experience in a complex organisation and ability to work across multiple departments and managing expectations others.
- Experience of working quickly and accurately with resilience to work well under pressure.
- Experience of prioritising and managing significant workload and meeting deadlines.
Qualifications and Professional Memberships
Member of professional body
Familiar with graphic design software and experience of working with design agencies to guide the creative process.
- Experience in the communications /stakeholder engagement in the higher/further education sector.
- Experience of supervising a small team would be desirable.
- Experience of building positive working relationships with a wide range of people.
- Engagement of a wider network of professionals in creating and implementing new approaches to communications.
Behaviour 1: Communication - Ability to receive, understand and convey information requiring careful explanation and information of a complex or conceptual nature, in a clear and accurate manner.
Behaviour 2: Service Delivery - Experience of exploring and adapting a service to meet customers’ expectations and also identifying ways of improving standards.
Behaviour 3: Liaison and Networking - Experience of circulating information in an accurate and timely manner, working across team boundaries to build and strengthen working relationships, leading and developing internal networks to pursue a shared interest and leading and building external networks to enhance the work of the organisation.
Behaviour 4: Decision Making - Experience of using own judgement to make decisions, making collaborative decisions with others to reach conclusions and providing advice or information that will influence the decisions of others.