- Location: RGU Garthdee, AB10 7GJ
- Salary: £34,804.00 - £40,322.00 per year
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Position Type: Full Time
- Hours: 37 hours per week
Applications for this job cannot be made online. Please refer to the advert for further information.
This is a key role in the IT Services Dept where you will work with the Service Desk Team Lead to lead, develop and manage the IT Helpdesk and Support & Operations Analysts.
Supporting the university's IT resources, staff and students. Providing and promoting excellent customer service, responses to incidents and requests, monitoring IT resources and carrying out account administrative responsibilities.
You will play a key part in developing the team, seeking ways to improve service, providing reports and carrying out trend analysis.
With the support of the Service Desk Team Lead there will be some staff management responsibilities.
Salary on first appointment is normally to the bottom of the scale, although in exceptional circumstances an appointment further up the scale may be considered.
Closing Date: 26 January 2020
RESPONSIBLE TO: Service Desk Team Lead
RESPONSIBLE FOR: Supervision of Helpdesk and Support & Operations teams and the mentoring of team members.
PURPOSE OF POST:
The purpose of this post is to provide a senior and authoritative expertise and resource to support the operation and performance of the University’s IT Helpdesk and Support & Operation service and promote team work to become a high performing team.
- To manage the resources and workloads within the team.
- To ensure that incidents, requests, changes and problems are accurately recorded in the service management system, and to carry out relevant analysis of these and provide reports.
- Develop monitoring procedures to allow for the effective and timely resolution of all incidents/requests recorded in the service management system for helpdesk and Support & Ops.
- Under the direction of the Service Desk Team Lead, to actively participate in the maintenance of a “knowledgebase” within the service portfolio which documents how to resolve commonly occurring faults/issues.
- To ensure work is delivered in accordance to the defined standards, policies and procedures and to provide training and guidance as required to IT staff within and outwith IT Services.
- Required to clarify the requirements; agree clear task objectives; organise and delegate work fairly according to individual abilities; help the team focus their efforts on the task in hand and motivate individual team members.
- To provide a level of senior expertise to analyse incidents, performance and capacity in order to identify problems, devise solutions, agree priorities and, with the Service Desk Team Lead, arrange for these to be scheduled and implemented.
- To ensure that all relevant documentation is maintained to reflect the current operations of the team’s processes, guidelines and any support documentation.
- Required to participate in networks within the institution or externally in order to ensure dissemination of information in the right format to the right people at the right time; build relationships and contacts to facilitate future exchange of information and to support the service
- Coach and mentor the team to ensure continuous personal development for the team and delivery of a service which meets the University’s needs. To carry out staff appraisals for the Support & Ops Analysts as well as a support other HR related processes
To act as a mentor to more junior colleagues, developing their customer service and technical expertise.
Qualifications and Professional Memberships
- Educated to at least HNC/HND or equivalent standard
- ITIL foundation (V2 or V3)
- A clear understanding of the importance of delivering customer satisfaction, and a demonstrated attitude which puts that first.
- Experience of call management monitoring Familiar with operating systems – desktop and server. Some of: Windows 7/10, Unix/Linux, Apple Macintosh
- Skilled in the use of desktop operating systems, preferably Windows 7/10 and Apple Macintosh.
- Familiar with standard desktop applications and skilled in their basic use. E.g. Microsoft Office, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Edge
- Familiar with the framework and principles of infrastructure architecture (hardware, databases, operating systems, local area networks etc.) such as those used within the University.
- Displays a responsible attitude to following procedures, keeping records, and caring for equipment and other assets familiar with the concepts of IT Security with an emphasis on user registration and access control
- Substantial experience delivering support services to end users.
- Experience of delivering help desk and operations services in a large multi-user environment (500+ users).
- Experience of using formal customer care systems for call logging, tracking and performance measurement.
- Supervisory experience with responsibility. Not necessarily line management responsibility
Qualifications and Professional Memberships
- Formal accreditation in a recognised area, e.g:
Microsoft Certified Professional
Certificates in service management
- Incident, Problem and Change Management.
- Familiar with management information systems, particularly those used in the University. E.g. HR/Finance/Student Records/CELCAT.
- Proficiency in desktop, network, server and AV systems and their interactions, with a clear competence to provide sound problem diagnosis.
- Experience of delivering these services to formal service levels and standards.
- Experience of significant service improvement initiatives.
- Experience of contributing to a support service in a large multi-user environment (500+ users).
- Experience of participating in disaster recovery and business continuity planning/rehearsals
- Experience of computer operational tasks to support management information systems
- Experience of staff development and leadership
Behaviour 1: Communication - Ability to receive, understand and convey information requiring careful explanation and information of a complex or conceptual nature, in a clear and accurate manner
Behaviour 2: Service Delivery - Experience of exploring and adapting a service to meet customers’ expectations and also identifying ways of improving standards
Behaviour 3: Decision Making - Experience of using own judgement to make decisions, making collaborative decisions with others to reach conclusions and providing advice or information that will influence the decisions of others
Behaviour 4: Analysis and Research - Experience of identifying or designing data gathering and analytical methods appropriate for each investigation, and producing reports that identify key issues and findings