- RGU Garthdee, AB10 7GJ
- £41,736 - £44,721 per year
- Contract Type:
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 35 hours per week
- Work From Home:
Robert Gordon University has a track record of dynamic leadership and a reputation as an innovative and modern university. The university’s IT department is a vital component of this vision and is currently in the process of an ambitious plan to develop and innovate its IT infrastructure and invest in the development of its staff to best support modern learning environments and research programmes.
The IT Systems Engineer post is ideal for an IT Professional who wishes to be part of a forward-thinking, innovative IT department in a successful modern University. You will be an experienced and versatile Systems Engineer with experience at a technical level in the development, deployment, support and maintenance of IT infrastructure components such as servers, storage, virtualisation, desktop systems, identity management, security etc.
In keeping with RGU's commitment to work/life balance you will have the opportunity to work from home for a portion of the working week and also benefit from a generous pension scheme, 46 days annual leave (including statutory days) an onsite nursery and sports centre, as well as a range of voluntary health and travel benefits.
The advertised salary includes a market supplement of £9388 per annum (pro-rata). This supplement is reviewed biennially and may be amended or withdrawn in line with agreed University pay policies. Salary on first appointment is normally to the bottom of the scale, although in exceptional circumstances an appointment further up the scale may be considered.
RESPONSIBLE TO: End User Computing Team Lead
RESPONSIBLE FOR: No supervisory responsibility
PURPOSE OF POST: You will be part of the team responsible for the design, development and support of the university’s campus-wide IT infrastructure.
- Technical planning and implementation of End User Computing activities such as desktop builds and policy deployments
- To develop and support Linux and Windows Servers on associated hardware
- To develop and support Virtualised Servers (e.g. using VMware or Nutanix)
- To configure and deploy Applications (e.g. using System Center Configuration Manger, Citrix, Intune, JAMF) and provide third line support where required
- VDI development and support
- SAN management and development
- To develop and support Windows 10/11 and macOS systems and associated applications, e.g. Office 365, Adobe CC Suite, Engineering Applications etc.
- To ensure that all relevant support documentation is maintained to reflect changes and additions to the University’s infrastructure.
- To adhere and contribute to change control processes
- To adhere to project development standards
- To ensure work is delivered in accordance with current IT security and quality standards and procedures.
- To act as a mentor to colleagues developing their technical skills and understanding of the universities IT systems and standards.
Qualifications and Professional Memberships
Educated to Degree Level. For exceptional candidates, significant working experience and a demonstrable track record will be accepted as an alternative.
- An understanding of current developments and trends in IT
- Awareness of ITIL service delivery and support processes
- Experience of working within structured projects
- Third line support, troubleshooting and resolving major incidents
- Experience of AD and AzureAD design and maintenance
- Server deployment including virtualisation, configuration, installation and upgrades
- Server performance management, capacity monitoring & optimisation, security management.
- Endpoint and Mobile Device Management e.g. Intune and JAMF
- Application virtualisation
- Systems management, preferably SCCM
- Desktop OS preferably Windows 10 and above, and macOS
- Windows Server 2012R2 and above
- Office 365
- Exchange 2019
- Redhat Linux
- SAN management
Qualifications and Professional Memberships
Professional Qualifications/Certification i.e. Microsoft, Linux, VMware, Nutanix or Citrix.
- Familiar with High-Performance Computing technologies
- Awareness of configuration management
- Familiar with business continuity planning
- Providing IT infrastructure support in an environment servicing 500+ users
- Supervisory experience of junior staff at a technical level
- Working in a higher education environment
- Experience of a wide range of Linux distributions
- Experience of Citrix XenDesktop 7
- Experience of cloud hosting platforms
- Experience of maintaining LAMP environments
- Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) such as Moodle
- Network infrastructure and technologies
Behaviour 1 - Communication
Ability to receive, understand and convey information requiring careful explanation and information of a complex or conceptual nature, in a clear and accurate manner
Behaviour 2 - Service Delivery
Experience of exploring and adapting a service to meet customers' expectations and also identifying ways of improving standards.
Behaviour 3 - Decision Making Processes and Outcomes
Experiences of: using own judgement to make decisions; making collaborative decisions with others to reach conclusions; providing advice or information that will influence the decisions of others.
Behaviour 4 - Analysis and Research
Experience of identifying or designing data gathering and analytical methods appropriate for each investigation, and producing reports that identify key issues and findings.