- Location: COSLA, Verity House, 19 Haymarket Yards, Edinburgh, EH12 5BH
- Salary: £27,103.00 - £29,917.00 per year
- Contract Type: Fixed Term
- Position Type: Full Time
- Hours: 36 hours per week
Applications for this job cannot be made online. Please refer to the advert for further information.
Policy Assistant (Media and Communications)
Fixed Term to 31st March 2021
£27,103 to £29,917 per year
36 hours weekly - COSLA operates a flexitime system
Based in Edinburgh
It is anticipated that interviews will be held w/c 10th February
This is an excellent opportunity
With a level of supervision, you will support COSLA’s media and communications work, ensuring line management and political endorsement at all relevant stages. With developing guidance and experience, the ability to take ownership of issues, consistent application of personal initiative, and a drive to see matters through to successful conclusion, your role will develop, as will your direct contribution to COSLA’s communications work.
You will be an exemplar for the public service ethos by committing to:
- a respect for the autonomy and potential of the people and communities of Scotland, and the ambition to help maximise both;
- an ambition to improve the lives and opportunities of the people and communities of Scotland, and a commitment to work with them to achieve their aspirations; and
- gaining maximum value and impact for public resources, and to account openly to the public for what is done in their name.
1. You will work with others to develop COSLA media and communications work around thematic issues and/or emerging priorities arising from:
- COSLA’s strategic objectives and business planning processes;
- Decisions made at Convention, Leaders or Board meetings; and
- Instructions from your line manager.
2. You will be able, as agreed with your line manager, to effectively communicate COSLA policy to fellow staff, member councils, relevant partners, stakeholders and the press, including, with experience, working directly with colleagues and elected members as required. This may include working directly with the Scottish and UK Governments and Parliaments.
3. You will support COSLA’s political processes, and be given the opportunity to produce and present written work through the mediums of press releases, media briefings, draft material for newspapers and web based news services, and social media, to all relevant audiences.
4. You will undertake a lead role in terms of the COSLA Excellence Awards – working under the direction of the Head of media and Communications.
5. You will undertake both research and engagement with the Clerks and processes within the Scottish Parliament on a pro-active basis.
6. You will, with experience, working with the digital team have a role in developing COSLA’s web content
7. You will, with experience, working alongside the head of media and Communications undertake work in relation to COSLA’s ever expanding social media presence.
8 You will lead on internal communications including the COSLA publication Inside COSLA.
9. You will create and maintain a framework of professional relationships and provide advice and guidance to partners as required by your line manager.
10. You will undertake other specific activities as required.
1. You will work co-operatively across teams, as required, and, with experience, taking responsibility for the development of policy and any recommendations which flow from your work.
2. Your written work will be of good quality and ready for presentation to relevant audiences.
3. You will act as an ambassador for COSLA, upholding the good name and reputation of your employer and Local Government at all times.
4. You will provide excellent customer service to member councils, colleagues, partners, and stakeholders.
5. You are expected to:
- Behave in a consistent, fair and inclusive manner;
- Promote team working in an open and communicative environment;
- Support and encourage other team members.
6. You will undertake any other duties consistent with your position as a member of staff in the organisation.
7. You will abide by staff policies in the conduct of your everyday business with COSLA.