- Slatefordgreen, EH14 1NE
- 10.50 per hour
- Contract Type:
- Position Type:
- Full Time & Part Time
- 37 week per week
Part time and full-time hours available
Location: Edinburgh & surrounding area
Salary: £10.50 (£64.80 additional sleep-over payment per occasion)
Would you like to learn BSL while being paid? We’re looking for caring and motivated Support Workers to support with deaf BSL users to join our team. Could that be you?
Who are we?
Deaf Action is a deaf-led charity, supporting and celebrating deaf people. We were established in 1835 and work with deaf people across Scotland and the South of England. Our work is geared towards empowering all deaf people to achieve their potential and fully participate in society, with equality of rights, access and opportunity.
You can find out more about us at www.deafaction.org.
We are looking for people who are caring, fun, motivated, and are willing to learn and show initiative. If you have experience in supporting people in their own tenancies that is great, however we will provide on the job training, and the majority of our support workers go on to complete formal qualifications in social care. If you already have knowledge of BSL that is a bonus, however we can provide training. The people we support want our team to be friendly and practical.
The ideal candidates will be fully committed to our values, which can be found on our website.
In the role of a Deaf Action support worker, you are required to provide person centred support to individuals living with a sensory impairment, varying disabilities and mental health needs to enable them to reach their full potential and live as independently as possible in their daily lives.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- To take an active role in assessments / recordings and to work with service users to develop their skills and abilities to achieve identified outcomes.
- To assist service users with personal care tasks where appropriate.
- To be involved, as appropriate, with all household tasks, maximising service users’ participation.
- To record the day-to-day finances (where relevant) and household budgets of service users.
- To enable service users to access information to be fully informed of their rights and valid expectations from the service provided.
- To ensure the health, safety and security of individuals and their environment.
What’s on offer?
- Occupational pension scheme with employer contributions of 6%.
- 32 days leave pro rata (inc bank holidays) pro rata for part time
- 24/7 access to an Employee Assistance Programme provided by Health Assured.
- In-house Mental Health First Aiders.
- Access to the Cycle to Work Scheme and IT Voucher Scheme.
- Ongoing support for learning and development through our PDR process
- BSL Classes (if required)
- Death in service.
To apply, please send your CV along with a covering letter or BSL video explaining in a couple of paragraphs why you are interested in the post and what experience you have that you will bring to the role to firstname.lastname@example.org
PVG checks will be requested. Applications welcome from all sections of the community.