- City Chambers 249 High Street Edinburgh, EH1 1YJ
- £28,854 - £34,057 per year
- Contract Type:
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 36 hours per week
Salary: £28,854 - £34,057 per year
Hours: 36 per week
We are looking for a Debt Advisor to help alleviate poverty and promote social inclusion by providing advice, guidance, support, advocacy and representation to households within the City of Edinburgh on matters of personal finance and welfare issues. Specifically, the post holder will assist tenants who are at risk of eviction due to rent arrears as well as other households at risk through debt.
Successful candidates will:
• Deal effectively with members of the public who have debt related problems by identifying appropriate options.
• Maximise the income of people in debt and ensure that they are in receipt of all benefits due.
• Negotiate with creditors to reschedule debts – rearrange methods of repayments based on detailed financial statements.
The post holder must
• Demonstrate a knowledge of the debt, benefit and credit market.
• Have the ability to deal with and communicate with the public in a tactful, sensitive manner.
• Have experience of preparing for and representing clients at appeals, tribunals, small claims or court.
• Be able to work on their own and prioritise caseload.
A Basic Disclosure is required for this post.
We're committed to creating a workplace culture where all our people feel valued, included and able to be their best at work, and we recognise the benefits that a diverse workforce with different values, beliefs, experience, and backgrounds brings to us as an organisation.
Our salary range typically reflects the initial starting salary and annually increases until it reaches the top of the range.
Follow us on Twitter at @edincounciljobs