- Midlothian House 40 46 Buccleuch Street, EH22 1DN
- £23,969 - £24,889 per year
- Contract Type:
- Fixed Term
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 36 hours per week
- Work From Home:
You have an opportunity to join our busy Revenues Service where you will make decisions on applications for financially based welfare and support funds including Scottish Welfare Fund and Discretionary Housing Payments in line with legislation, guidance and regulations.
Amongst other duties you will be required to
- To make assessments for Crisis Grants, Community Care Grants and Discretionary Housing Payments. This includes gathering information and communicating decisions to claimants either in writing or by telephone.
- Provide advice, assistance and guidance to customers, employees and external agencies on any aspect of financially based welfare and support funds, including Scottish Welfare Fund matters as required including as necessary making or arranging payments to individuals and suppliers.
- Maintain a detailed knowledge of all legislation, guidance and regulations and actively participate in all learning and development activities.
Evidence of competency in literacy and numeracy skills such as a minimum of three standard grades level 3 passes or above to include Mathematics and English, or equivalent.
Computer literate with a good working knowledge of operating databases and the Microsoft Office suite of programmes.
Knowledge of the Scottish Welfare Fund
Experience of working in a high volume, office-based customer focused environment.
Experience of discretionary fund decision making
CLOSING DATE - 30 November 2023
INTERVIEW DATE - 7 December 2023
Position Title: Scottish Welfare Fund Benefits Assessors x2
Working from Home: Hybrid
Location: Corporate Resources – Revenues Team
Contract Status: Fixed Term 18 months from start date
Hours of Work: 36
Working Pattern: Monday to Friday
Weeks per year: 52
Please note that it is Midlothian Councils policy that successful applicants will be appointed to the first point on the salary scale.
Based on you working 36 hours over 52 weeks per year the minimum actual salary for this position is £23,969.40 per annum.
Compliance with the mandatory Cabinet Office PSN (Public Sector Network) Code of Connection requires the Council to meet a baseline personal security standard. This requires completion of a disclosure check for all employees who can access official information. The fee for this PSN Disclosure check will be met by you.
If you have difficulty applying for this post or accessing attached documents, or if you have a disability and reasonable adjustment is required, please call 0131 271 3063 to speak to a member of the Recruitment Team stating the post reference number.
Midlothian Council is currently undergoing a period of transformation, changing and improving the way it delivers services in Midlothian. As a consequence, there are a number of existing employees for whom we are committed to seeking suitable alternative employment within the Council in accordance with our legal obligations. Candidates are advised that, for some vacancies, internal candidates in this situation will be interviewed before the wider selection pool and a slightly longer delay may be experienced before application outcomes can be advised to you. Thank you for your patience in this matter.