Summer Internship in Audit (2023)
- Edinburgh or Glasgow, EH3 9DN
- £20,349 per year
- Contract Type:
- Summer Student
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 36.25 hours per week
This position has expired.
We are looking for third year Accountancy degree (hons) students to assist us in auditing Scottish public sector annual reports and accounts during our summer period. Positions are available in our Glasgow and Edinburgh office. Our 2023 Summer Internship Scheme will run from June to August 2023.
We are Audit Scotland. We're Scotland’s public sector auditor, independent of government. We employ more than 340 talented professionals who know that their work helps ensure the efficient delivery of public services in Scotland. We believe that public money (around £57 billion a year) should be spent wisely.
There's plenty of change ahead, and the need for robust public audit that provides assurance about public spending and helps public services improve is more important than ever. We want to make sure Scotland makes the very best of the opportunities and that change is delivered well – transparent financial reporting and delivering value for money are key to this.
There has never been a more interesting or important time to join us. We offer a rewarding place to work, a supportive and open culture and a wide range of professional development opportunities. You will join us for an eight-week period over the summer where you will gain an interesting of Audit Scotland’s role and public sector audit. Benefits include 42 days of annual leave including public holidays, an attractive local government pension scheme with 19.4% employer contributions, personal development allowances and flexible working hours. We’ve also been named one of the top 40 workplaces in Scotland and the UK’s eighth best accountancy workplace in the 2022 Best Companies awards.
Overall purpose of the role
The final accounts period is one of our busiest times and will provide you with a wide variety of work experience that you can use to build your professional development and enhance your skills. This will help you stand out when looking for career opportunities upon graduation.
More about you
If you are ambitious and have a passion for helping to improve public services in Scotland, we would love to hear from you. You will need:
- To be a third-year accountancy student on track for an honours degree
- Strong numerical skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- A good understanding of financial accounting modules at university
- To have completed at least one auditing module at university by the end of your third year
- The ability to work well in a team and independently using initiative
- Sound analytical skills for gathering, interpreting and evaluating data
- To be disciplined and organised with good project management skills
- To be available to work through June to August 2023
What’s in it for you?
A summer internship with Audit Scotland will give you valuable work experience with fantastic benefits, including:
- The potential to fast track to the assessment centre stage of our graduate trainee scheme upon successful completion of the internship
- The opportunity to enhance teamworking and communication skills through client interaction and working across different audit teams
- Travel opportunities through working across a range of audit clients and sectors
- Competitive salary and holiday entitlement
- Supportive colleagues available to help day to day
- Advanced training on our systems and software to help you feel comfortable upon arrival
- Valuable public sector audit experience that will make your CV stand out
Interested? Next steps?
Click the apply button to complete an application form. If you wish, you can also share your CV.
Our application deadline is Sunday 2nd April 2023 at midnight. We’ve reserved time at the beginning of May for interviews to take place.
Diversity and Inclusion
We value the unique perspective a diverse workforce brings to what we do. Therefore, we’re keen to increase representation in our workforce and support progression of minority ethnic groups. We are also a proud disability confident employer.