Skip to main content
Ref no:
Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD
£32,210 - £35,532 per year
Contract Type:
Position Type:
Full Time
36 hours per week

Job Description

Technician (Flooding), Perth PKC10012
£32,210 - £35,532
Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth PH1 5GD
Your main duties will involve developing and working towards the successful implementation of the Flood Risk Management (Scotland) Act 2009 for Perth & Kinross Council. This will include liaising with the Scottish Government, SEPA, Scottish Water, Local Authorities and other relevant bodies in order to prepare and implement Local Flood Risk Management Plans, map relevant bodies of water and Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems, etc.
You will lead on Council flooding projects and engage and manage consulting engineers and contractors to deliver them. You will also be responsible for monitoring and updating the Flooding Capital & Revenue budgets as required. You will be required to attend various meetings on behalf of the Flooding Section, including attendance at Local Plan District forums. You will also be expected to deputise for the Senior Engineer or Engineer in their absence.
You should have experience of flood risk management, have knowledge of the Flood Risk Management (Scotland) Act 2009, and be aware of Flood Risk Assessments, the Controlled Activities Regulations and Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems. You should also have experience of the NEC ECC & PSC Forms of Contract and be experienced in managing Consulting Engineers and Contractors to deliver projects. Experience of computer based hydraulic modelling and design packages and knowledge of relevant health and safety legislation are advantageous. You should also have a degree in Civil Engineering (or similar) or be educated to HND/SVQ Level 4 in Civil Engineering or a related discipline, and able to demonstrate equivalent knowledge, skills and competencies gained through relevant experience, and have good financial awareness and communication skills. Ideally you will have, or be working towards attaining, Incorporated Engineer status and be a Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers (or similar) or have, or be working towards attaining, Chartered Member status of the Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM) or similar. A full current UK driving licence is essential.

The Individual

This post is currently homeworking due to the pandemic. The Council is currently progressing with a hybrid working model offering access to office working on some days/when required. Initially this is on a temporary basis with longer term options becoming available in future. We are committed to being a more inclusive employer, please contact the recruiting manager to discuss any individual circumstances with the recruiting manager, discuss at interview or if you prefer, after any conditional offer is made,  to ensure we can consider any reasonable adjustments. 
If you would like any more information regarding this vacancy, please contact Peter Dickson, Interim Flooding Manager on 01738 477278.
When completing your application for this post, please ensure you provide current contact details (including e-mail addresses) for two referees, one should be your present or most recent employer. However, if you are an existing employee of Perth & Kinross Council, you are only required to provide reference details for your current employer.

At PKC our values and behaviours influence our work and support us in the delivery of the Perth and Kinross Offer. In your application, and should you be invited to interview, you will be asked to describe situations that support the criteria required in the role and which also demonstrate our values and behaviours. Find out more about PKCand you could soon be joining our team!

Please APPLY ONLINE. Facilities are available at all public libraries in Perth and Kinross. If you have a disability and require reasonable adjustments, please call 01738 475555 to discuss.
As part of our safer recruitment measures, Perth & Kinross Council carries out rigorous checks on the right to work in the UK, qualifications, employment history, including references, and fitness to undertake the post.
Some jobs may have been traditionally carried out predominately by one gender, but we would encourage you to apply if you meet the requirements, irrespective of your gender.
A healthy work life balance is important to Perth & Kinross Council and we provide supportive management and flexible working arrangements to help you achieve a healthy work life balance. You will have access to training and support for continued professional development.
Perth & Kinross Council welcomes applications from former armed forces personnel/reservists. Many of the skills picked up during your military career could be transferred directly into a role with local government.

Find out more about working for Perth & Kinross Council and living in one of the most scenic areas of Scotland here.