Set up under the Gambling Act 2005, the Gambling Commission is committed to safeguarding the public against any detrimental impact brought about by gambling. We do this by keeping crime out, protecting children and vulnerable people and ensuring the gambling industry is run fairly and openly. We regulate one of the most fast-paced industries in the world and that means we are continually expanding our expertise, defining and adopting best practice and building a future-focussed organisation committed to keeping gambling safe. You will benefit from the opportunities that come with working at the forefront of regulation, for an organisation that is dedicated to helping you achieve your full potential. If you’re passionate about doing great work then we will help you do that.
Overview of the Advisory Board for Safer Gambling (ABSG)
ABSG is an independent expert advisory board which:
- helps deliver the National Strategy to Reduce Gambling Harms
- helps increase research capacity and capability through engaging with a wide range of experts
- helps share findings about best practice so they have an impact
- helps solve policy dilemmas where research evidence is lacking or ambiguous.
ABSG does this by:
- providing independent advice to the Gambling Commission on the implementation of the National Strategy to Reduce Gambling Harms
- monitoring progress of the Strategy
- recommending priorities for research
- strengthening prevention and treatment through robust research, evaluation and practice
- working collaboratively with others who have expertise, bringing them together to discuss issues of mutual concern.
- ABSG’s values are:
- integrity - we are honest, we listen to others and consider carefully diverse views
- transparency - we are open
- excellence - we are committed to high standards
- collaborative - we work with others to reduce harm