Lecturer in Nautical
- North East Scotland College, Scottish Maritime Academy, South Road, AB42 2UP
- £34,170 - £43,357 per year
- Contract Type:
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 35 hours per week
The job application process is currently not available, due to problems communicating with the Lumesse server.
If you have experience at sea and knowledge to share with the next generation, the Scottish Maritime Academy has the perfect opportunity. Set a course for a new career as part of the SMA teaching staff and benefit from a rewarding shore-based post in purpose-built facilities.
The Academy is looking to recruit a Lecturer in Nautical Science to develop and deliver courses up to HNC Nautical Science and Class I Fishing level. The successful candidate will be required to prepare and deliver a variety of training, including MCA short courses and SQA units for new entrants.
The successful candidate will hold the minimum of a current MCA Certificate of Competency at Chief Mate Unlimited (STCW 95 REG 11/2. and/or Class 1 Deck Officer (Fishing) Level.
The successful candidate will hold current MCA short-course certification and be able to clearly explain, both orally and in writing, all aspects of nautical science to a range of students. Good IT skills will be essential in the successful delivery of training along with strong communication and interpersonal skills which will allow the successful candidate to build and maintain effective relationships with students and colleagues.
The College encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds.
The closing date for applications is 23 June 2023.
For more information about the Scottish Maritime Academy, please visit our website on: http://www.smaritime.co.uk/
(criteria marked * are desirable, all others are essential)
- Working knowledge of nautical science subject area
- Ability to explain concepts to students at all levels from new entrant to HNC in Nautical Science and Class 1 Fishing
- Good knowledge of Health & Safety in this vocational area
- Good communication skills
- Good presentation skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good organisational skills
- Ability to develop and use appropriate learning/teaching/training materials
- Computer literate
- * Knowledge and/or experience of the use of electronic learning materials
- MCA Certificate of Competency: Chief Mate Unlimited (STCW 95 REG II/1)
- *MCA Class 1 Deck Officer (Fishing) Certificate of Competency or equivalent or
- * MCA Certificate of Competency: Chief Mate Unlimited (STCW 95 REG 11/2) or equivalent or
- Current MCA short-course certification
- * Range of optional short-course (e.g. BRM, )
- * Experience of sailing on a range of vessels, preferably as Master or Skipper
- * Experience of using maritime/bridge simulators
- * Experience of marine engineering
- * Experience of managing discipline
- * Experience of assessing competence
- * Experience and knowledge of risk assessment procedures
- * Teaching or training experience
- * Teaching qualification (TQFE or equivalent)
- * Assessment experience
- * Assessment qualification
- * ECDL (European Computer Driving Licence)
- * GTC registration
- Effective team player who actively supports others
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with students and colleagues
- Prioritises work effectively
- Meets deadlines
- Personally well-organised
- Evidence of commitment to equal opportunities
- Own practice reflects good health and safety practice
- Has undertaken mandatory staff development (if internal candidate)
- Evidence of commitment to continuing professional development
- *Driving Licence and willingness to use own vehicle for business purposes.