Health and social care

Local authorities provide care and support to those in our communities, who are most in need, through a range of professions. In partnership with the NHS there are a range of care services provided. Jobs in the caring profession have an important role to play in the wellbeing of the young and the old, people with disabilities and those in need of support. Local authorities also have a responsibility to ensure residents are able to access support with housing and financial assistance if required.

  • Care Homes and Sheltered Housing
  • Day Care
  • Homecare
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Social Work
  • Housing

Each local authority may have a different structure or grouping of these services provided, the title of service provision and job titles may vary but here is a generalised overview of each:

Care Homes and Sheltered Housing

Local authority care homes provide everyday care and support for elderly residents. Providing 24 hour care if needed, areas for support may include assistance with personal care, eating and drinking and maintaining social relationships. Sheltered housing provides care to a resident when required while maintaining their independence, in their own tenancy in a sheltered housing complex. There are many roles involved in providing this care - qualifications required include an SCQF 6/SVQ 2 in Health and Social Care but many local authorities will deliver this qualification and training. Some roles include Care Assistant, Domestic Assistant and Social Care Officer.

Day Care

Working in a day care centre delivering day services to adults with learning difficulties, includes planned activities and lunch. This involves ensuring the effective running of the centre in co-operation with volunteers and provides vital routine to service users and respite time to family members and carers. Some roles include Support Assistant, Support Co-ordinator and Escort/Attendant.


Homecare is the provision of care to residents who require support in their own home. Service users require someone who can help them with practical daily living tasks and can offer advice or help them access what they need. Homecarers have an important role to play in the well being of older people and people with disabilities, enabling them to continue to live in their own homes.

View current vacancies: Care and Homecare

Find out more about a career in adult social care.

Occupational Therapy

Occupational Therapists help people live more productive and enjoyable lives. The aim is to help those who are temporarily or permanently disabled to be as independent as possible in their everyday lives, whilst recovering from illness or adapting to disability. Community Occupational Therapists work closely with GPs, the Community Nursing Service, and other health care professionals, along with colleagues who provide various Social Work services. Occupational Therapists need to be fully qualified and hold a degree in Occupational Therapy.

Social Work

Social work in the local authority involves forming relationships with people, engaging not only with service users themselves but also with their families and wider social networks. Social Workers are professionally qualified staff who assess the needs of service users and plan the individual packages of care and support that best help them. Once qualified to degree level, Social Workers tend to specialise in either adult or children’s services and within local authorities these can include teams such as Children & Families, Adoption & Fostering, Kinship Care, Mental Health, Criminal Justice and Learning Disabilities.

View current vacancies: Social Work

A career in Social Care will require relevant recruitment checks including a Disclosure Scotland PVG (Protection of Vulnerable Groups) check to be undertaken by your employer and registration with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC).


Councils provide a wide range of support and advice to those in the community who may require assistance with housing or financial issues. Homelessness support teams assess personal circumstances to those who may face or are experiencing homelessness with an aim to prevent this and find an alternative solution.  Housing teams provide a wide range of support to those in the community who may require emergency temporary accommodation or support with securing housing on a longer term basis. They also provide guidance and support to access financial support such as housing benefit. Housing services require a wide range of qualified and unqualified staff, some of these roles include: Homelessness Advisor, Housing Officer, Assistant Housing Officer, Assessment Officer, Tenancy Support Officer and Benefits Advisor.

View current vacancies: Housing/Homeless

Find a Job You’ll Love

Search Jobs